1 The big, black, local Roman Catholic Priest. The emphasis here is on Catholic. Yes, I was a good Roman Catholic a long time ago and attended a Catholic School (Secondary) for seven (7) years. Some part of my life has to be attributed to the Roman Catholic influence. God bless my paternal grandmother who wrote text from the Daily Missal on the outside wall of the house and had a permanent Alpha and Omega in the yard. Don’t judge me.
I remember D.V, my school principal and a Roman Catholic Priest. Thanks to him for helping me through Form 5 – 6. I remember Fr Harris, then parish priest at Holy Trinity Church, he is now Archbishop. He was parish priest when I did First Communion and Confirmation. I remember Gregory Augustine now a priest and Fatima Principal, then head of Confirmation at Holy Trinity Church. I remember the legacy of the Pantin brothers, Archbishop (one of them) and Servol (the other).
I also remember the romanticism of the idea by many a Catholic that one day there would be a black Archbishop in Port of Spain.
- But Fr Harvey (The big, black, local Roman Catholic Priest ) – No, I do not know him (1st denial)
2. Sometime in 2011, a Roman Catholic priest got the Hummingbird Gold for “loyal and devoted service to the country”. His name was Father Clyde Harvey.
- But Fr Harvey (The Patriot) – No, I do not know him (2nd denial)
3. T.T.D.C (Trinidad and Tobago Debates Commission) Member – Fr Clyde Harvey (2015). He is Chairman of Community Intervention for Transformation and Empowerment, South AIDS Support and the Morris Marshall Development Foundation. In other words, he works with T.T.D.C to develop our frail democracy (dais a big word – democracy) and he works in hot spots and with persons less fortunate than most.
- But Fr Harvey (The Nationalist) No, I do not know (3rd denial)
I really do not know him so like Peter, this Jude might I add Benedict (yes, two Catholic names) denying him. While I don’t know him, I know of him. My question: Do you expect a gun toting youth between the age of 16 – 30 to know of him, to know him or to respect him enough not to rob him for 30 pieces of silver (or 50k ransom in 2017).
- You think they Catholic (meaning they have a fear of God)? Or that because he big, black, local or Catholic makes a difference?
- You think they patriotic, have some sense of self and country? You think they care about a Hummingbird award or if it gold? Gold yes, maybe if he was wearing it as a chain.
- They may be citizens but you think they nationalistic. They know about the T.T.D.C? It pains me because I think they should know about his work in their community and other communities similar to theirs but clearly they do not or did not care.
You see in this democracy numeracy and literacy free because of free education. In this democracy that sometimes socialist and welfare like because the state does so many thing to take care of citizens. In this democracy where long time is not long time. Religion, patriotism, and nationalism seem to be the relics of the movement for Independence, and we don’t own our Republic, this Republic.
In this democracy fellas age 16-30 dying every day as they perpetrate criminal acts or someone perpetrates a reprisal on them for a criminal act or less. You seeing the “value” proposition?
Most of us don’t know Father Harvey but we know of him because our literacy and numeracy is our own. We continue to read about them “the little black boys” as they do what they feel is necessary for their literacy and numeracy. You reading express and counting your salary. They reading your movements and counting your salary.
There is a script though, in fact several scripts that have captured our imagination and the imagination of our parents. The Independence Script, The Republic Script, The Black Power Script. These scripts were not necessarily and need not be written by government for the people. It could be written by government with the people, or by the people and for the people with the government.
Who is working on the current script? Not King James. What is our real/perceived/present/future value proposition as trinis? Who needs to work on our script? We all do. Thanks to all of you for taking care of your own, so that you are not hanging your head in shame for the Act committed on Fr. Harvey. Thank you for knowing him or of him, for the empathy or sympathy. Who do we have to thank for those who denied him? Peter? Judas? Jude? We?
In this democracy we are the government, we are the opposition, we are the patriots, we are the nationalists, we are the priests, we are the bandits and we are the victims. We allplaying a role. In the words of Bro Valentino’s Calypso “life is a stage and we are the actors, everyone has a part to play”. We can’t wait for the play to unfold, but act to change the script.
Have a bless Corpus Christi. Plant something for the future.