In a year when the patriarch Sabga-Aboud figure passed away he would be and they should be proud. The show was unquestionable proof that this is Carib Country.
In the Year we are giving a Public Holiday recognizing our Amerindian Ancestry (First Peoples) it is sad that there was so much Caribs and yet not a Carib. Let’s as a people make sure and do this right when the time comes. Bourdain eh do it and he eh go do it for we.
Was this a linear historical story? No it was not. Thus many a cry of exclusion I do not understand.
Here is what you saw sequentially.
- Intro: La Shaun Prescott (Liming and Wining) having some savannah soul food.
- Kim Johnson (Pan) with some corn soup.
- Indian “Boy’s” River Lime, with Curry Duck and Buss-up shut.
- A Quasi-Parang interlude (man singing Trinidad is Nice in the middle ah the river lime) felt kinda off to me.
- Syrian Segment (Grey Goose and Coconut water and their respective dishes. Kibi etc)
- Crime with Mark Bassant
- Coup/Mudd and Music (Red Snapper/Fish, Oil Down, Pastelle)
- Industrialisation/ Kalinda/Stick Fight – Souse
- Tobago – Crab and dumpling.
Here is what I saw:
- 2:08 Seconds Audio “copious drinking” Visual – Stag looking bottle
- La Shaun and Bourdain drinking Carib
- Kim and Bourdain drinking Stag
- Doubles with an Apple J
- River lime with real plenty Carib and 1824
- Mention of Grey Goose and Coconut water.
- Mark Bassant and Bourdain drinking Carib amid a plethora of Carib advertisements and branding.
- Thanks Mudd for the Juice
- Bourdain drinking Carib by himself in Tobago with Rose.
- FOR THE WINNER at 40:27 (time-slot) the man refilling the Caribs actually make it into the video.
What allyu think, the whole thing paid for itself? Anyway…
I have a kinda bitter sweet feeling that me and my friend who eat in KFC did not make the cut while those who eat by the River or on a Big Patio did. Get a grip people (no race talk here), just saying I come from African Ancestry and communal eating with extended family is a norm. That is my truth and I don’t need Bourdain to tell it. Yes, I really value sharing of a meal and the imagery and messages that it sends. Have to thank Mudd and granny for re-presenting here as well.
I like how Kind David, the stick man moves between the native twang and the Bourdain twang “igotta”. It’s a thing Trinis do so naturally.
I found the whole thing to be a bit male oriented and want to also thank La Shaun and Rose for re-presenting some of our Truth.
Some strong female images in the Tobago segment were pleasing. back-ups, bathers. Trinidad (meaning Trinidad and Tobago) is “oman’ too.
I have work alongside Muhammad Muwakil and if ever there was a brother to be grounded or grounding with he is one. “Let’s Build a Nation”. Let all ah we sit around the table and eat ah food.
Of the many issues we currently face this show ain’t one. Super G out.